Girls On The Run

This past weekend, I volunteered at the Girls on the Run of Northeast Florida 5K. 

It was incredible. 

This is my second year as a Solemate (aka: fundraiser) for Girls on the Run, but the first time I have attended the end-of-season 5K and I was blown away by what I experienced. 

850 girls between 3rd and 8th grade from all over northeast Florida attended the event. Many of these girls were completing their first ever 5K. 


I saw girls who will likely become seriously talented runners. I saw girls who probably won't. I saw smiles. I saw tears. I saw one girl throw up (it was just a little too much water intake...she recovered quickly!) I saw parents and grandparents and siblings and coaches and volunteers run with a buddy and encourage her the whole way. I lost my voice and had sore hands from so much clapping.  


I saw more than all of the fun, though. 
I saw accomplishment. Pride. The results of hard work, dedication, and commitment. 
I saw confidence. 

I saw, first-hand, in the eyes of 850 pre-teen girls the very reason that Girls on the Run exists. I saw girls in the middle of the race saying "I can't do it" and the same girls at the end of the race saying "I did it!" I saw girls beaming at the medal that they had just EARNED through sweat and sore muscles and side stitches. I saw parents being challenged through what their daughters were accomplishing. I saw brothers cheering on sisters. I saw little girls, future Girls on the Run girls, beaming at the big girls. 


This weekend, I saw a beautiful space where girls can be girls and know that they are tough and beautiful and can accomplish anything and that it is okay to be sweaty and it's okay to be silly and it's okay to be strong and it's okay to be fast and it's okay to be loud. And it's ok to do it all wearing a superhero cape and a tutu. This weekend, these girls were bursting out of the box that someone might try to put them in someday. 

A mom asked if her daughter could take a picture with me. Tearing up, this mom told me that since participating in Girls on the Run her daughter is "back." Her laughter, her self-esteem, her effort. The insecurities that can be so common at her age are melting away and the change is evident. This mom has also started running as a result of her daughter's participation and shared with me the confidence that she, too, has built. 

This. 
This is why I am a Solemate. 
This is why I have asked you for donations. 
This is not some club where girls run. It is a place for girls to be supported as girls and know that they are worthy and important and can do hard things. 
This is Girls on the Run. 

--------------
You can support my fundraising efforts for Girls on the Run at: https://www.raceplanner.com/donate/Moore-Runnings

Comments

Popular Posts